+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Thai Whiskey (Lao Khao)

The Thais love their whiskey (laew), but the name whiskey also covers drinks that are made of mollasses (Rum).

Yaa Dong is the REAL Thai Whiskey! This is a Thai Herbal Whiskey. Though many Thai Whiskeys have something added this one is not only a recreational drink but directed as a cure for specific ailments. The law is hazy as to whether Yaa Dong is legal simply because it has mystery additives but usually a blind eye is turned to its public sale.

Lao Khao is distilled from rice beer (Sahtoe) and so is a true Thai Whiskey albeit clear & colourless and with a completely different taste to Scotch. It is sold like most alcohol in the local corner shop & usually in a brown bottle. You can be pretty sure that the Lao Khao bought there is reasonably safe. Not so with the home produced product which may have less than desirable effects.

It's not unusual today to see Lao Khao today with a snake or two or perhaps a scorpion pickled in the bottle along with a Ginseng root. Marketed with names like 'Cobra Whiskey' It is more of a product for the tourist market... something to take home with you.

Sang Som though commonly called 'Thai Whiskey' is not a whiskey at all but a rum. It has been distilled from sugar cane like all rums. Most all of 7/11's stock it & it would likely be the first bottle handed to you if you asked for Thai Whiskey.

Sangthip is yet another Rum but generally called a Whiskey. There are those who say it is just Sangsom with a different label on the bottle.

Mekhong could be considered something of a hybrid Whiskey/Rum. It has a mollasses & a rice source.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Lak Korat; 20-08-10 at 10:09.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lak Korat For This Useful Post:

Nana Plaza (20-08-10)

Rough Guide to Bangkok

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Thanks

Achievements

Default Re: Thai Whiskey (laew)

Sang Som is probably my favourite on the above list. Sitting on the balcony in the early evening with a small bottle of sang som, some mixers & a bucket of ice... what could be better?

Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you wish to convince people of something, it is more useful to be entertaining than to be right.

Registered Users

Reputation Reputation

Thanks

Achievements

Attached Images

I have a quality control test for village whiskey in Thailand.
    Put your finger in it shake your finger if your finger tip go's ice cold,bin it.
    That's not whiskey,its surgical spirit.

Advanced User

Thanks

I would like to try too but I am deadly afraid of going blind because of quality issues... I have heard of horror stories where people go blind, got lead poisoning, and even die because of bad alcohol.

I have more confidence in eating the stuff street vendors sell...

I always have a bottle of Sang Som handy.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Thanks

I have heard about this whiskey and recommended that if u drink to get it from someone you know and avoid getting bad whisky

how does real sang som taste like? May buy a bottle from 7-11...

Thanks

Achievements

I guess it tastes a little sweeter. Cheap enough, treat yourself to a small bottle.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to swtptr For This Useful Post:

bejean (30-09-10)

Registered Users

Reputation Reputation

Thanks

Achievements

DIY Yaa Dong

Go to the pharmacy & buy some 'Eleven Tiger' herby mix and go 7-11 to buy some 'Lao Kao' whiskey...

Crush up the '11 Tiger' herby mix and place together with the whiskey in a jar...

Decide that one bottle looks a pathetic amount in the big jar you bought.... Go back to the pharmacy and 7-11 again for 3 more packets of 11 Tiger herby mix and 3 more bottles of Lao Kao whiskey...

Repeat step 2 with the extra ingredients...

Leave the resultant 'Yah Dong' mixture for a minimum of 2 days before drinking the devils juice...

There was also a tale not that long ago of a group of BG's becoming possessed by strange ghostie goolie things & generally going a bit nuts after a session on this stuff... It has to be tried though.
    Attached Images

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightking For This Useful Post:

Harry (29-09-10)

Thread Information