Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Question No Thanks in Thailand

Interactive guide to nightlife in Bangkok. 14.02.2015
    What's the best way of saying 'no thanks' in Thai without offending anyone. Cheers

Retired Redneck
    Baht

Achievements

Default Re: No Thanks

Mai Ow, Kop Khun Kop

I just say" Mai ow krap".
    Mai pen rai means,no problem,don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by mcanto  Only the registered members can see the link. Register here.
    What's the best way of saying 'no thanks' in Thai without offending anyone. Cheers
    mai khorb khun khrup (no thank you)

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sulasno  Only the registered members can see the link. Register here.
    mai pen rai?
    That means 'never mind'.

---------- Post added at 19:45 ---------- Previous post was at 19:44 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hhfarang  Only the registered members can see the link. Register here.
    Mai Ow, Kop Khun Kop
    'Mai ow' literally means 'not want', so isn't really polite unless you are talking to a taxi driver or BG.
    A reporter is a man who has renounced everything in life but the world, the flesh, and the Devil

Default Re: No Thanks in Thailand

If you input it into google translate make sure you punctuate correctly or it can have a different meaning.

Mai ow krap, has been the best way for me and have never had any problems saying this.

Baht

Achievements

Quote Originally Posted by wayne  Only the registered members can see the link. Register here.
    Mai ow krap, has been the best way for me and have never had any problems saying this.
    Have you ever spoken to anyone higher up the Thai social ladder than BG's & taxi drivers?
    Hidden Content
    If you wish to convince people of something, it is more useful to be entertaining than to be right.

Thanks for all your comments. I'll give mai ow khrap a try. I don't really mix with the hi-so set!!

I would guess you start this thread coz like many of us we always hear these things while walking down Sukhumvit ....'Massage Sir?' man shoving you a leaflet showing some fish tank massage parlor (bloody hell they're still using the old Atami or Mona Lisa leaflet but you're end up in Cupid at the Plaza) or some head wobbling Indians trying to get you make a Giorgio Amani suit 'Suit for you, Sir' or perhaps 'Seafood, Seafood ... Free, free ' some Tutu drivers trying to take you for 'free' to Sombon-Dee so they can make a cut of 10 times the trip fare!

Polite way like they mentioned above 'Mai Ow Krap' ..... but for me I'll usually do this

Just joking .... stick with the courteous way or the next thing you're gonna hear from some street punk is ' I know Thai Boxing you know' ... 555 TIT

Thread Information